A new kind of power

November 9, 2012

These are the days, you guys.

I feel it like a drumbeat in my chest.

Like a piper waking me up, whistling me out beyond what I’ve always known and into a foreign-familiar homecoming.

We’re here to heal. To come together. To drop the illusion of separate, competing interests.

When you win, I win. When I lose, you lose. Our planet feels this. Our populations feel this.

But these are the days of moving out beyond even these dichotomies. Of focusing not on rightness and wrongness, winning and losing, but on wholeness. On recognizing our unavoidable part in a bigger story and listening, whole-heartedly, BIG-heartedly, to how we want to shape that unique part.

Jen Louden wrote a practical, prophetic piece on this before America’s election this week.

Julie Daley is writing beautifully about this kind of power.

Amy Oscar is a light for this Way.

And, goodness, we’re in such amazing company! I could link and link and link to the souls that are living out “These are the days!”

In this same vein is my deepening conviction that we who make livings from healing, heart-centered work are not in competition. We are soul doctors and soul nurses and spiritual therapists for a planet.

We each have a specialty, unique to us. And there are folks, many of them, for whom our specialties are most needed.

So. Bringing “these are the days” to these very weeks that finish our year – weeks when nearly all of us need soul support as we up our sugar intake, our activity levels, and time spent with dear ones who trigger our less-than-best power moves…

Here are some soul specialists to assist you this season. We are, all of us, trust tenders, and we’re consciously trying to embody the most healing, transformative kind of power.

Marianne Elliott | Zen Peacekeeper Guide to the Holidays

Liz Lamoreux | Water Your Soul

Hannah Marcotti | Holiday Joy Up

Rachel Cole | Wisdom Notes

Alana Sheeren | Picking Up the Pieces

Yours Truly | Santa Pause

Find something that nourishes and supports you (from this list or well beyond). Invest in it. Take seriously this call to embody – right in the midst of this season – your deepest power.

If you’re new here, my warmest welcome! This site is all about trust and how we can grow more of it. Here’s an article that summarizes what I believe about trust. And for a free ebook about a core trust-tending practice, click here. I’m so glad you stopped by!

9 comments   |   Filed in: Meditations   |   Tags: ,   |

1. Oh, wow! What a lineup of so many of those whose writing moves and touches and inspires and reassures me. Wonderful. Thank you, Kristin!

Comment by Lindsey — November 9, 2012 @ 6:11 pm
  2. Delighted, Lindsey!

Comment by Kristin — November 9, 2012 @ 7:47 pm
  3. Jen, yes! And so much easier said than done when working with individuals than when trying to organize widespread, civic change. I like the metaphor of conversation, though, with these things – how conversations really can be reframed again and again. Maybe that’s where work with individuals and work with groups can intersect: raising individuals’ awareness that they can shape and shift the ruts that conversations often fall into. I’m encouraged and inspired by your work to do just this.

Comment by Kristin — November 10, 2012 @ 10:52 am
  4. LOVE this kristen- book marked it the other day when I was on the road. I’m so tired of the us vs. them, winners vs losers, makers vs takers, mentality. We’re all on this planet together & need to figure out a way to make it work together. These really are the days- I’m excited again & my faith in humanity has been somewhat restored ;)

Comment by Amanda @ Click. The Good News — November 11, 2012 @ 5:59 pm
  5. Thanks, Amanda. And I so appreciate the “somewhat” in your comment. It isn’t all or nothing ever, is it? :)

Comment by Kristin — November 11, 2012 @ 7:34 pm
  6. [...] And it seems there is a bit of this going around: Jo pointed out Kristin’s post about this new kind of power: ‘These are the days of moving out beyond dichotomies. Of focusing not on rightness and [...]

Pingback by Sas' Magical Mystery Tour — November 12, 2012 @ 6:09 am
  7. Kristin, I’m a bit late to the party here, but when I first read this post on Friday, my heart opened wide. I also have a seasonal offering I created last year that I’ll be relaunching soon. And I saw a number of these offerings come out first, and danced a happy dance to see that the message of going against the grain of our over-commercialized mainstream culture during the holidays is spreading far and wide. Years ago, Riane Eisler and Starhawk articulated the concept of “power-with,” which is the power of the circle, instead of “power-over,” the power of the pyramid, of domination, with one person at the top and the peons on the very bottom. It’s part of my calling to create as many circles as I can, and participate in as many as I can. There is room for all of us. We all have something unique to offer. And I am privileged to sit in virtual circle with you all. (*thank you* for writing this post, and for providing space for this conversation!)

Comment by Joanna Powell Colbert — November 13, 2012 @ 9:38 am
  8. THe power that is a prayer and an answer, both. That says it all. This is beautiful and I’m honored to be included amongst these beautiful souls.
    Love you, Julie

Comment by Julie Daley — November 14, 2012 @ 3:56 pm
  9. Joanna, YES. I love what you’ve articulated here.

And Julie, all my love to you.

Comment by Kristin Noelle — November 15, 2012 @ 11:51 pm