A new season is upon us and, at least for those in the northern hemisphere, it’s one of so much newness: leaves, buds, flowers, green.
Content at Trust Tending this month will be a line of harmony with what’s happening in the natural world. The focus here will be tending trust around starting new things.
Whether you’ve recently embarked on some new endeavor, are gearing up to do so, or have only glimmers of longing toward such a thing, you probably aren’t a stranger to the fears that accompany beginnings. This month will be devoted to tending trust around fears and beliefs such as:
- Failure is shameful and must be avoided at all costs.
- People in my position or age bracket shouldn’t feel as vulnerable as I do.
- I’m exhausted after doing nerve-racking things. Something is wrong with me.
- I feel so out of it. How in the world will I learn what I need to learn to do this well…or even know what it is I need to learn?
- How can I possibly earn enough money to make this work?
- If I succeed, I’ll alienate people I love.
- If I talk to my family about this, they won’t “get it” and I’ll feel stupid. If I keep pursuing it anyway, they’ll feel confused and maybe disrespected.
- I don’t know anyone else doing this kind of thing. Maybe I shouldn’t do it.
- My partner’s career matters way more than me pursuing this dream.
- I’m shamefully less clever/experienced/connected/creative/brilliant/etc. than _______. Maybe I should throw the towel in now.
- Success is defined by money earned, popularity garnered, and sphere of influence secured.
- Having fans will fulfill my deepest needs for love.
- Being a beginner is reason for shame.
- Blooming early is what counts.
- If I haven’t reached x level of success (mastery, income, connectedness) within weeks (or months or years) of starting, I will have failed.
- I have so much less time than other people for this. I feel sorry for myself.
- Superstars are the benchmark I use to judge my worth.
- Looking stupid is the worst thing in the world.
- All or nothing, baby. Period.
If any of these sound like thoughts from your head, I hope you stick around! I have a feeling this is going to be a wonderful month for the growth of our trust – yours and mine!